Germany: Venture on your own in the city you now call home

3/21/2014

Dresden, Germany

You have to love yourself first because the strongest relationship you will ever have is the one with yourself. I don't have a problem being on my own, I actually strive for independence. However, being on my own in a foreign country where you speak no word of the main language in this case, its German can be somewhat challenging. For the most part, I can get around simply by asking whether they speak English before rambling on of what I need. Otherwise, I play charades. I have yet to encounter any problems so I must be doing something right.
Though, do not get me wrong, I am enjoying all this me time, its given me time to take in all the history this city has to offer before I get too caught up with my German language class and other things life has to throw my way. Considering that majority of this city was destroyed during the WWII bombing, it is amazing how they have managed to reconstruct it from the ground up to how it looked back before the bombing. The architectures of all the historical buildings are absolutely breath-taking. Pictures does no justice.

Dresden bound

My tips to those lone wayfarers:

1. Act as a local and be street smart.
2. Make friends with the locals. They will know where all the hidden gems of the city are and who knows, some may turn out to be long term friends.
3. NETWORK, this is where Facebook serve its purpose. No longer will it be about reading those useless newfeeds that fill your mind with gossips. Chances are you can find a group with people in the same shoe as you and local willing to take time to show you around.
4. Go learn the language or at least some useful phrases if you are considering about sticking around for awhile.
5. Be adventurous when it comes to food. Try the street food over those fancy restaurants because most of the time, it will be tastier and easier on your wallet. You can spoil yourself once in awhile. 
6. Learn to say YES, unless the situation seems sketchy then in that case, go with your gut. It'll know best.
7. Fall in love... 
Altstadt Dresden
Though, is it just me or Germans are very shy? I will get back to this thought at a later date.



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe