Traveling abroad: life in Europe as a North American

7/19/2014



EUROPE! Ain't as glam as you imagine it to be, it is really not all posh and chic like how the media plays it up to be. Well at least where I am located in Europe. Don't get me wrong though, it is absolutely beautiful!
For those wayfarers out there, prepare yourself for this:

Blockage of most YouTube videos.
Why are all videos blocked on YouTube, well mainly music videos. There must be another option to stay connected...

Getting used to the electro music scene.
For someone who was only into the indie music scene in Canada, it was a bit hard to adjust to the non-stop electro scene. Open air events throughout the city has definitely changed my mind maybe its the idea of day drinking that I love so much.

Cheese curds and Gravy
Yeah yeah, I know what you are thinking... all the delicious cheese Europe has to offer. & don't get me wrong, they have an endless amount of various cheese from close neighbors such as France, Italy and Switzerland. For cheese lovers, I am actually in cheese heaven for that matter. However, the lack of CHEESE CURDS is killing me and delicious gravy... for my fellow Canadians, you know what I am talking about here. Poutine, that is the one thing I miss from the motherland, Canada... home made poutine is not the same without cheese curds.
People in Deutschland just don't understand the concept of poutine, every responses are the same followed by a digested look.

PEANUT BUTTER!I can probably say, that I have tried all the peanut butter Dresden has to offer and even the one from the Netherlands, which is claimed to be the best... though sadly enough, nothing tops Canada's peanut butter. So friends, someone please send me some Kraft's crunchy peanut butter.

Maple syrup, that delicious goodness... over anything!
However, that aside.

There are things I absolutely love and makes up for what I just mentioned

Cheap Alcohol.
Definitely a perk, a bottle of wine most of the time is cheaper than water. How can you not be an alcoholic while living here. Don't think I will be able to justify to buy a bottle of cheap wine in Canada anymore...

Public drinking.
Well this is something that took some time to get used to because it is absolutely prohibited in Canada. However, there was always a joy sneaking a drink in public, made it exciting. Guess it may have been the danger aspect of it. My inner bad ass chick.

Reliable commute system, Tram/Train.
There is nothing I love more than the uber reliable commute system. Always on time, need I say more. I absolutely hated the transit system in Canada, there has been one too many times I have been late because bus fail to come on time.

All in all, still have a place in my heart.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe